Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hi everyone--
Just a quick update. I returned to work yesterday, but I'm only going to work every other day this week. Hope to be back on my regular schedule by Monday. It is wonderful being back at school with my amazing students. I'm on a one-month break from chemo, then we will get a PET scan to see where we're at, and make decisions on where to go from there. We're still up in the air as far as my toes. I guess I'm stalling a little, because it seems like they're just a little better. I don't want to make any hasty decisions on that one. By the way, a correction from my last blog: I guess I accidentally typed the opposite of what was going on with my thyroid. I meant to say that it is hypo-active (not hyper-), meaning my metabolism was very slow. Since they put me on the correct meds, I've lost 35 lbs. Yeah!
My doctor has asked me to let everyone know that since I was released from the hospital, my immune system is extremely weak. He knows I'm a "hugging" type person and told me I should not be hugging anyone at this point--just in case. If there is even the slightest possibility of sickness I need to stay away completely. If I catch even a cold it could land me back in the hospital, so please don't be offended by the lack of hugs if we run into each other, because you know I love you all! :) Please keep up the prayers and I will let you know when we schedule the PET.

4 comments:

Judy Cordano said...

Hi Ms. K.,
I know it might be getting tough but you are so loved by your students and by your amazing example of tenacity and grace, these kids have been given one of the most valuable gifts that they will ever be given in high school. Kelsey talks about how much they miss you. We are continuing to send you healing thoughts and prayers, Judy Cordano

Judy Cordano said...

Hi Ms. K.,
I know it might be getting tough but you are so loved by your students and by your amazing example of tenacity and grace, these kids have been given one of the most valuable gifts that they will ever be given in high school. Kelsey talks about how much they miss you. We are continuing to send you healing thoughts and prayers, Judy Cordano

Unknown said...

You don't have to be physically hugged to be hugged. Consider yourself given a big ol' bear hug from a big bear. :-)

I'm so glad that you are doing so much better! Daniel and I are also sending healing thoughts.

Married2MrWright said...

Oh JoAnn,
It's so unbelieveable all that you've endured these past few years! Goodness! I am glad to read that you're turning the corner. I am glad they found your thyroid issue and you're dealing with it...the 35 lbs. lost must feel good. Hang in there...you're in my thoughts and prayers. Sending a germ-free virtual hug from Tulsa, OK. :-)